The ICT4D symposium will be focused on interactive discussion and reflection around the challenges and opportunities for ICT for Development, specifically in the context of the Web.
Paper and poster submission subjects include (but are not limited to):
- The role of the Web vs. barriers for development, and how to overcome them
- Low literacy and the Web
- Low resource infrastructures and information sharing (e.g. Internet of Things)
- Multi-modal access (speech, voice services, icons, mobile technologies)
- The multilingual web (e.g. for small under-resourced languages)
- Digital inclusion/inclusiveness
- Social networks
- The Web and development
- Mobile technologies and social development
- Big and small data and the digital divide
- Semantic Web and Linked Open Data for social development
- HCI for Development (HCI4D)
- Sustainability and ICT4D
- Social and empirical studies of societal impacts of ICT4D
- Globalization of the Web: processes, impacts, policies
- Ethical issues concerning ICTs in development
- Evaluation methodologies for ICT4D
- Methodologies and experiences in socio-technical innovation (living labs, co-creation, agile methods, participatory technology development)
- Participatory and human-centered Web technologies and applications
We invite both long and short papers as well as poster submissions (resp. 8-10, 4 and 2 pages in ACM conference format). Submissions will be peer-reviewed (see program committee below), and selection criteria are analogous to those in the main Web Science conference.
Long papers are expected to address mature and completed research concerning issues in ICT4D and the Web, short papers focus on formulating and discussing new ideas and emerging issues important for the future research agenda, and posters give a space for new research work-in-progress and corresponding discussions.
The organizers undertake to bring the best submitted papers into a special issue of an international journal.
The schedule is as follows.
- Submission deadline:
20 March 6 April2018
3 April 182018
- Camera-ready papers due:
1 May 2018
- Symposium day:
27 May 2018
We welcome the following types of contributions.
- Short papers (up to 4 pages)
- Full papers (up to 8 pages)
All submissions must be written in English and must be formatted according to the ACM format (http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates). Please submit your contributions electronically in PDF format at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ict4d18
- Papers will be evaluated according to their significance, originality, technical content, style, clarity, and relevance to the workshop.
- At least one author of each accepted paper is expected to attend the workshop and register for the conference.
- Accepted papers will be published as part of the satellite proceedings of ACM Web Science 2018.
- The WebSci218 organisation team is planning to invite selected workshop submissions to a dedicated journal special issue.
- Best paper awards for all submission types will be kindly provided by the workshop sponsors.